Who inspired Zech 12:10 during the Maccabean Wars?

PRETERIST BIBLE COMMENTARY Forums Forum Who inspired Zech 12:10 during the Maccabean Wars?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    admin
    Keymaster

“They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.” (Zechariah 12:10)

Zechariah 12:10 is often correctly understood to be typologically Messianic foreshadowing Jesus’ crucifixion. Though distally pointing to Christ, Messianic predictions often have a more proximal fulfillment initially referring to individuals who lived closer to the time of the prophetic writing. Isaiah 7:14-17 is a clear example:

“14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”

Though typologically hinting at Christ, Isaiah 7:14 was fulfilled in the birth of prophetess’ son in Isaiah 8:3-4:

3 Then I made love to the prophetess, and she conceived and gave birth to a son. And the Lord said to me, “Name him Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz. 4 For before the boy knows how to say ‘My father’ or ‘My mother,’ the wealth of Damascus and the plunder of Samaria will be carried off by the king of Assyria.”

In the commentaries on Zechariah 9-14 I show how Zechariah 9-14 were fulfilled in the Maccabean Wars of the second century B.C. If that is true than what figure is spoken of in Zechariah 12:10 who so clearly appears to foreshadow Jesus? This figure appears to be Judas Maccabees the legendary Messianic-like leader of the Jews in their war with the Seleucids.

Outnumbered but refusing to retreat, Judas Maccabees was slain by his enemies on the battlefield. Concerning the Jews’ mourning at the death of their savior, Judas Maccabees, Zechariah 12:10 says, “[T]hey will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son.” We see Zechariah 12:10 fulfilled in 1 Maccabees 9:17-22:

17 The fighting became very fierce, and many on both sides were killed. 18 Finally Judas himself was killed. Then all his men fled. 19 Jonathan and Simon took their brother’s body and buried it in the family tomb at Modein, 20 and there at the tomb they wept for him. All Israel mourned for him in great sorrow for many days. They said, 21 It can’t be! The mighty hero and savior of Israel has been killed!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.